Are you eligible for a SIG Scholarship?
Applicants for SIG Scholarships must meet all relevant eligibility requirements below.
Complete the eligibility checklist before progressing.
- Are you a citizen of the Solomon Islands?
- Do you meet the minimum academic requirements for the Scholarship for which you are applying? (See SIG Scholarships Policy and Procedures Handbook)
- Are you applying for a course and field of study at an education institution that is included in the National Training Plan?
- Are you currently holding another scholarship?
- Are you willing to return to the Solomon Islands for two years on completing your scholarship?
- Will you be committed to your studies while on scholarship?
- Are you competent in speaking and writing the language of instruction where you will be studying?
- Have you previously been terminated from a SIG Scholarship?
- Are you honest and law abiding?
- Have you read and understood the SIG Scholarships Policy and Procedures Handbook and agree to the conditions of a SIG Scholarship?
In-Service scholarship applicants only
- Are you currently employed?
- Do you have the support of your employer to take up a scholarship?
- Will your study choice better equip you to undertake your work on completion of your studies?
Age limits for applicants
To apply for a SIG scholarship, you have meet the follwing age requirements:
For Certificate, Diploma and Bachelor's Degree
- Pre-Service Scholarships - 35 years of age and under
- In-Service Teacher’s scholarship – 45 years of age and under
- In-Service Public Sector Scholarship - 45 years of age and under
For Masters and PhD
- Master’s degree - 50 years of age and under
- PhD – no age limit
Constituency Development Scholarship Applicants
To uphold the integrity of SIG Scholarships, Constituency Scholarship nominees must meet all the following Eligibility Criteria to receive a scholarship:
- Is a member of the MP’s constituency
- Is a citizen of the Solomon Islands
- Is not an MP’s ‘associate’ as defined by the Leadership Code
- Does not have a criminal record and does not have any outstanding law enforcement matters
- Must select a course and education institution identified in the Solomon Island Tertiary and Skills Education Training Plan for that year.
- Must have achieved the required GPA for the identified program of study.
- If currently a self-sponsored student, must submit academic transcripts for this study to show that they are making satisfactory academic progress.
- Has not previously held a scholarship (SIG Scholarship or other scholarship) for tertiary studies within the past two years.
- Has not had a SIG Scholarship terminated.
- Applicants should be applying only for Pre-Service Scholarship categories